Eric Zimmer, behavioral change coach and podcast host, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Eric talks about how he overcame a severe drug and alcohol addiction and was able to pull himself up after hitting rock-bottom in his early 20s. He covers the darkest times of his life, including homelessness, being arrested, and weighing 50 pounds lighter than his normal weight because of drug abuse. Eric talks about what he did to turn his life around and how he dealt with his internal demons and was able to overcome them. If you’re wondering how to win the war that resides within you and within all of us and how to overcome life’s darkest days, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- Eric’s past struggles with drug addiction and homelessness
- The Tale of Two Wolves parable and it’s profound meaning
- What this parable did for Eric Zimmer and how it helped him overcome his addiction
- Feeding the good wolf and taking care of yourself by doing the right things
- The fact that the “bad” wolf may not actually be bad
- The issues that led Eric into becoming an addict and how he dealt with them after stopping his addiction
- Taking responsibility for your issues and owning the fact that it’s up to you to make change
- Eric’s last day of using drugs and what made him finally commit to getting off drugs for good
- The different addictions to heroin and alcohol and how they both act differently but can be equally devastating to your health long-term
- Recognizing your emotions and choosing to react in a specific manner
- The benefits of Alcoholics Anonymous and how it can really help people with addiction
- The areas that AA doesn’t really help with and often overlooks
- The physiological response to addiction and how to deal with not getting your neurotransmitter fix through taking drugs (and what to replace this with)
- The power of supplements and their ability to help people with conditions like depression and anxiety
- Whether or not Eric Zimmer still gets an itch to do drugs or alcohol
- How he gets his mind off using drugs and alcohol and how it’s gotten easier and easier with time
- What addiction means to Eric and why he’s replaced his addictions with other activities, healthy addictions per se
- Why people psychologically give in to things like procrastination
- Being specific with your plan and your intentions and how this can lead to success when trying to make a behavioral and life change
- Making and keeping your commitments to yourself
- The fact that making positive lifestyle changes becomes easier with time
- The psychological trick that you can use on yourself to get more done and follow through on your goals (it’s very effective)
*If you have not checked out our YouTube videos go to EliteManMagazine.com/youtube right now! Our YouTube channel launched just a couple weeks ago and already the feedback has been phenomenal. Equal parts entertaining and informative our YouTube videos will make you laugh, cry, smile, think, question, and celebrate the fantastic knowledge being bestowed to all! Every week we cover all your favorite topics and break down everything you need to be the best man you can be! Go to EliteManMagazine.com/youtube right now to start viewing our videos. Make sure you like and leave a comment with your thoughts on each video too. It helps us spread the message and grow our channel! Also, subscribe to our channel right now if you haven’t yet. I promise you’re going to LOVE these videos and the ones we’ll be releasing soon! Subscribe and watch now at EliteManMagazine.com/youtube
* In today’s age, it can be hard to find the time to sit down and learn more. It’s not easy when the likes of social media can be so addictive and time-consuming – so you may think you don’t have the time to read a book or to develop yourself. There is however, an app I highly recommend, it’s called Blinkist. Blinkist is the only app that takes the best key takeaways, the need-to-know information from thousands of nonfiction books, and condenses them down into just 15 minutes so you can read or listen to. Blinkist is made for busy people like you, who want to get the main points of the books quickly without reading the entire book. With an audio feature, Blinkist makes it so easy to finish 4 books a day while you are on the go. 8 Million people are using Blinkist right now and it has a massive and growing library: from self-help, business, health to history books. I like Blinkist because, in less than 15 minutes, I feel like I can fast-track my path to a more intelligent/informed me. I use Blinkist most mornings when I’m making my morning smoothie. In fact this past week alone I’ve gone through The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, The Power of Habits by Charles Duhigg, and Start With Why by Simon Sinek. I love being able to breeze through some of these incredible books and still get the main takeaways from them. It’s actually really, really cool. Right now, for a limited time Blinkist has a special offer just for our audience. Go to Blinkist.com/ELITE to start your free 7 day trial. That’s Blinkist.com/ELITE to start your free 7 day trial.
* Have you joined the Elite Man Newsletter yet? If not, get on it now! Go to EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter and sign up to get special Elite Man content not seen nor heard anywhere else. Get all of our bonus podcast information, sneak peaks into upcoming shows, behind-the-scenes content, special offers, and exclusive Elite Man updates you won’t find anywhere else. I’m telling you if you’re not on our newsletter yet you’re missing out. Go to EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter and become a true member of the Elite Man Community. I look forward to speaking soon. EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter.