Ken Falke, 21-year combat veteran of the U.S. Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) community, retired Master Chief Petty Officer, and best-selling author of Struggle Well: Thriving in the Aftermath of Trauma, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Ken talks about how to overcome struggle in life and thrive after enduring hardship or trauma. He discusses his life as a bomb disposal specialist and his 21 years in the Navy and what this taught him about stress and managing setbacks. Ken talks about overcoming shame, grief, loss, stress, depression, PTSD, and much more. If you’re wondering how to get past struggle and thrive in the aftermath of adversity, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- What it was like being a bomb disposal specialist in the Navy
- The failures of the medical health industry, specifically with regard to mental health
- The training Ken went through as a bomb specialist and how he was taught how to control his emotions and deal with stress
- What made Ken want to help veterans with their mental health issues
- The fact that 125 Americans take their lives every day (45,000/year) and that 22 of them are suicides by a veteran (8,000)
- Stopping the epidemic of suicides
- How Ken has helped people who’ve lost limbs and are now amputees (devastating physical loss)
- The changes in personality that many veterans face because of mental illness and PTSD
- Why medication alone is never the solution
- Getting used to and accepting your circumstances even if they seem dire or horrible
- What post traumatic growth is and how Ken helps others get it
- The fact that just about everyone breaks under torture
- Getting past your breakdown and your shame
- The power of letting go of your shame and past trauma
- The toughest prison cell man can endure (the space between the ears)
- Talk therapy and its importance when treating trauma
- The science behind post traumatic growth
- Living in the present moment
- Understanding your past without dwelling on it
- The importance of physical activity to help overcome mental woes
- Mind, body, financial, and spiritual health
Check out Ken on:
* Follow Justin on Instagram now for daily content not found anywhere else!
*Check out Justin’s new book ELITE MIND at EliteMindBook.com.
*Join our email list at EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter now!