Dr. Stuart Eisendrath, Professor of Clinical Psychiatry Emeritus at the University of California, San Francisco and author of the new book When Antidepressants Aren’t Enough, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Dr. Eisendrath talks about the use of antidepressant medication, whether they work, whether they are safe long-term, and what to do when they are not enough. Dr. Eisendrath shares a very effective and completely safe alternative to antidepressants called mindfulness-based cognitive therapy and how and why it works so well. He talks about the science behind this alternative treatment and who can benefit most from is use! If you’re wondering what to do to overcome your depression without having to resort to antidepressants, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- What Dr. Stuart Eisendrath does and why he’s studied depression for many years
- Whether or not the mainstream medical approach to treating depression actually works
- Why only about 50% of people recover from this mainstream approach and what to do with the other 50% who don’t
- Whether or not antidepressants are actually effective and why it works for some and not others
- When to used prescription meds and when to try an alternative approach
- The speed that antidepressants can have in terms of seeing an effect
- The long-term results of using antidepressants and whether or not they are safe in this regard
- Tapering off antidepressants and what can help with this process
- Mindfulness based cognitive therapy and why it works better than traditional cognitive therapy
- Answering back to your thoughts as opposed to letting your thoughts go
- Why it’s so hard for depressed people to get over their negative thoughts and why the longer they have the depression the harder it can be to switch away and have more positive thoughts
- What meditation really does for your psyche
- The mental training that meditation offers you
- How to properly meditate to get the effects needed for mindfulness and its ability to fight off depression
- How long and how often you should meditate
- Whether or not 3 minutes is enough time to meditate for some people
- How to know if you are meditating the right way
- The power of the present moment
- Why self-compassion is critical to overcoming depression
Subscribe to our YouTube channel by going to EliteManMagazine.com/youtube right now!
* Have you joined the Elite Man Newsletter yet? If not, get on it now! Go to EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter and sign up to get special Elite Man content not seen nor heard anywhere else. Get all of our bonus podcast information, sneak peaks into upcoming shows, behind-the-scenes content, special offers, and exclusive Elite Man updates you won’t find anywhere else. I’m telling you if you’re not on our newsletter yet you’re missing out. Go to EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter and become a true member of the Elite Man Community. I look forward to speaking soon. EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter.
Check out our newest products and bundles at EliteLifeNutrition.com and save more than ever on the best supplements money can buy! Plus get free shipping on all U.S. orders over 75 bucks!