Steven J. Pearlman, PhD., critical thinking expert and educator who has worked in higher education for 30 years, and author of the new book America’s Critical Thinking Crisis: The Failure and Promise of Education, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Steve talks about the failure of our education system to teach children and young adults about one of the most important skills in life, critical thinking. He breaks down what critical thinking really is, why we need to develop this skill, and why so many people are missing this skill in today’s world. Steve talks about what we can do now to harness our critical thinking abilities and tap into much greater success in life. If you’re wondering how to develop one of the most important skills in life, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- Why Steve wrote his book America’s Critical Thinking Crisis: The Failure and Promise of Education
- The drawbacks Steve has witnessed firsthand with the education system in America, especially in higher education
- Why Steven doesn’t fault educators for the flaws of the system
- What critical thinking actually is and why it’s so important
- Why so many people are lacking this essential skill and how they can begin to develop this skill
- How journaling can help with developing critical thinking skills
- Recognizing our biases when searching for the truth
- Thinking of our thinking while we are thinking and why this is critical
- Hearing different perspectives and opposing viewpoints
- Thinking of your decisions throughout the day and analyzing your reasons for doing and thinking certain ways
- The role teachers play in critical thinking and how they can better teach their students how to develop this skill
- Why businesses and corporations and seeking more critical thinking workers
- Street smart vs. book smart and where critical thinking comes into play for both
- Why critical thinking makes you a better student
- How parents can teach their kids to be critical thinkers
- Fixing a broken education system and getting critical thinking training into the classroom
- Why grades aren’t as important as most teachers think
- Why A students are usually poor critical thinkers
- The best ways to develop critical thinking skills right now, even as an adult
- Whether or not it’s possible to measure or quantify critical thinking
Check out Steven on:
* Follow Justin on Instagram now for daily content not found anywhere else!
*Check out Justin’s new book ELITE MIND at EliteMindBook.com.
*Join our email list at EliteManMagazine.com/newsletter now!
*Go to elitenucalm.com to get 50% off your 30-day subscription of NuCalm.
*Go to calderalab.com and use the coupon code ELITEMAN at checkout for 20% off.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Leave a Reply