Dr. Dan Reardon, medical doctor, personal trainer, and co-founder and CEO of Fitness Genes – one of the world’s top fitness DNA testing companies, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Dr. Reardon talks about how we can optimize or health and fitness by looking out our genes and making changes to our lifestyle based on what our genes tell us. He covers the incredible science behind gene testing, epigenetics, what some of the most important genes to test for are, and what my DNA tests actually reveal about me. If you’re wondering how your genes can help you optimize your health and fitness goals, how you can personalize your lifestyle to optimize your health, and what my personal DNA results actually tell me about my health and fitness aspirations, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- How Dr. Dan Reardon became interested in studying people’s genes for health and athletic performance optimization
- The benefits of getting your genes tested and knowing what types of specifications to make in terms of diet, exercise, and sleep
- The accuracy of this type of testing and what it can and cannot do at the present moment
- Epigenetics and how genes are expressed and whether or not you can control whether certain deleterious genes will be expressed or not
- What Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) are and why Dr. Reardon tests for these to determine his health recommendations
- The fact that certain groups of people have more favorable genes and have a proclivity to excel in certain areas and where this might come from
- Why you getting obese can actually affect your children in terms of passing down potentially obese genes to them, making it more likely that your children will be obese
- Why pregnant mothers should eat just as healthy if not more than they do before their pregnancy and have as healthy a lifestyle as possible too (no smoking!)
- Intermittent fasting and the health benefits of this when done correctly
- The Zone Diet and whether this can be a healthy diet for some people or whether it’s a bad idea in general
- The myth behind only being able to consume (and properly digest) 30 grams of protein per meal
- The best sources of protein that Dr. Reardon recommends
- My DNA results and the specific recommendations that I have from Dr. Dan
- The fact I should be exercising later in the day and consider intermittent fasting based on my fast metabolism (and inefficient ability to store fat)
- The fact I don’t switch effectively from burning carbs to burning fat
- My CLOCK gene that leaves me susceptible for having a broken circadian rhythm (and increases my chances of being a night owl)
- What my caffeine gene tells me about what my caffeine intake should be and at what time of day
Check out Dr. Dan on:
* The Elite Man Podcast is sponsored by Health IQ, an insurance company that helps health conscious people like runners, cyclists, weightlifters and vegetarians get lower rates on their life insurance. Go to healthiq.com/elite to support the show and see if you qualify. Health IQ uses science & data to secure lower rates on life insurance for health-minded individuals. You, being an Elite Man Podcast listener are almost certainly among those health-conscious people! That’s why you should really listen up. Health IQ can save customers up to 33% because physically active people have a 56% lower risk of heart disease, 20% lower risk of cancer, and a 58% lower risk of diabetes compared to people who are inactive. So they reward you for being active and taking care of yourself. How cool is that!? Look, you never know what’s going to happen, especially if you’re married, have children, or you’ve had personal scares, or family members dealing with health issues. This is something you definitely cannot take lightly. It’s so important to make sure your loved ones are kept safe no matter what. And Health IQ helps you do that! It’s the fastest growing life insurance company in the world with over 5 billion in coverage and they’re rated 9.6 out of 10 by Trustpilot! Do yourself and your family a huge favor and check out Health IQ! To see if you qualify for an incredible savings of up to 33%, get your free quote today at healthiq.com/elite or mention the promo code “elite” when you talk to a Health IQ agent. Again that’s healthiq.com/elite!