Tom Satterly, former Delta Force Command Sergeant Major of 20 years whose life was portrayed in the movie Black Hawk Down, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Tom talks about his life in one of the most elite military units in the world, the highly-acclaimed Delta Force, and the many experiences he had whilst being a member, including that of the notorious Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia – the battle depicted in the Black Hawk Down movie. Tom dives into the intensity of the battle, the horror he saw, and the scars it left him, emotionally and mentally for many years, even leading to a suicide attempt at one point. But like the true warrior he is, Tom also talks about pulling himself out of it all, regaining his life, and becoming an even better man after these struggles. And he shares with us how we can all grow from similar hardships and also become better by conquering them. If you’re wondering how to overcome your greatest struggles and transform these obstacles into your greatest life lessons, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- Why Tom spends most of his time now helping veterans recover from PTSD and past trauma from being in the military
- The fact that 22 veterans a day commit suicide
- Why so many vets are depressed and why the problem is only getting worse with time
- How Tom went from enlisting for a single 4-year term into becoming a Delta Force member for over 20 years
- The incredibly tough training to become a Delta Force member and why the attrition rate is actually higher than that of the Navy Seals
- Why people are usually their own worst enemy and why self-induced stress is often the worst kind of stress
- The right way to deal with stress and stressful situations
- The turning point in Tom Satterly’s life and why one battle changed everything for him
- The Battle of Mogadishu in Somalia and why this was one of the most intense 48 hours of Tom’s life
- The certainty of death that crossed through Tom’s mind during that battle and what he thought inside his head about knowing he was going to die
- Running across the street saving other soldiers while bullets were flying past his head
- Running “The Mogadishu Mile” and somehow, against all odds, surviving this horrible conflict in Somalia
- How Tom’s life changed after this battle and why he was a self-proclaimed horrible person after it
- Tom’s suicide attempt in his car and what stopped him from going through with it
- What he’s done in the last few years to really change his life around
- The most important lesson Tom has learned from his past traumatic experiences
- Why failure is such a powerful way to learn and why failure is actually a good thing when viewed the right way
- Why not giving a shit about what others think of you can be one of the most empowering philosophies in all of life
- Taking responsibility for everything that happens in your life and why this can lead to great happiness
- Having gratitude and appreciation in life
- Changing your thought patterns to change your feelings and emotions
*Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that’s been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. As an adaptogen, it’s great at combating stress and preventing the release of excess cortisol. By regulating the body’s physiological response to stress, ashwagandha is believed by a number of researchers to be able to stave off the anxiolytic effects of day-to-day, and even acute stress. In one very impressive, double-blind, placebo-controlled study conducted in the year 2000, 88.2% of all participants who took a form of the ashwagandha herb saw a marked improvement in their anxiety levels after 2 and 6 weeks, the pre-determined follow-up times of observance. Certainly more research should be conducted, but the more this wonder-herb is being studied the more promise it shows. As a suspected potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory, it’s effects on the brain and body have been touted to help support everything from thyroid function, to adrenal fatigue, energy levels, brain cell activity, and immune system virility, to name a few. And if you’re excited like I am about this herb, I’ve got fantastic news… It’s our latest Elite Life Nutrition product! That’s right, after getting together with our world-class manufacturing team, we’ve put together an Ashwagandha formula that’s literally the best on the market! Created in our GMP-certified facilities, right here in America, our Elite Life Nutrition Ashwagandha promises to give you the highest quality Ashwagandha money can buy! Go to EliteLifeNutrition.com/ashwagandha right now to order your wonder-herb today! That’s ASHWAGANDA. I know, it’s not the easiest to spell, but it’s certainly one of the healthiest herbs you can get your hands on. Again, go to EliteLifeNutrition.com/ashwagandha right now to start reaping the benefits of this fantastic herb.
*If you wear contact lenses and find yourself dreading that annual appointment to renew your prescription then you’re going to love Simple Contacts. It’s a fantastic new company that makes this annoying process very… well, simple. Simple Contacts lets you renew your expired contact lens prescription and re-order your brand of lenses from your phone or computer in just minutes. Simple Contacts brings the doctor’s office to wherever you are, whenever you need it. You can take the Simple Contacts vision test online in 5 minutes and a real doctor reviews it for you and renews your prescription. You save time, you save money, and you save yourself a major headache. And if you have an unexpired prescription, just upload a photo of it, or your doctor’s info, and order your lenses in just minutes for a great price – they do all the hard work for you! This is vision care for the 21st century. Also, Simple Contacts offers every brand of lenses imaginable, and their prices are unbeatable. The vision test is just $20 (compare that with an annual appointment which can cost over $200 without insurance), they have some of the best prices on contacts, and the shipping is FREE. Best of all, my listeners get $30 off their first Simple Contacts order. To save $30 on your lenses, just go to SimpleContacts.com/elite or enter the promo code ELITE at checkout. I do want to mention that this isn’t a replacement for your periodic full eye health exam, you still need those occasionally, but it is the most convenient way to renew a prescription & reorder your contacts if your vision hasn’t changed. Again, check out SimpleContacts.com/elite to get $30 off you first order now or simply enter the promo code ELITE at checkout. Give it a try & thank me later!