Scott Carney, investigative journalist, anthropologist, and NYT best-selling author, joins our show in this special episode of the Elite Man Podcast! In today’s episode Scott talks about developing a powerful technique for dealing with stressful situations known as The Wedge. Scott talks about the many instances where hijacking your body’s instinctive response can be beneficial and how to train yourself to be able to do this at will. He also talks about his crazy experiences hiking up mountains in the freezing cold with Wim Hof, taking Ayahuasca in Peru with a Shaman, and stepping into fear-inducing virtual simulators at MIT, among many other fascinating stories. If you’re wondering how to use stress to your advantage and perform better today, check this episode out now!
*Download this episode now and subscribe to our channel to get more of these amazing interviews!
In our episode we go over:
- Why Scott had set out to debunk The Wim Hof Method and Wim Hof
- Why his position on Wim Hof completely changed after diving into his work and doing many of the unbelievable feats himself (right alongside Wim)
- The autoimmune condition that Scott was able to reverse while using Wim Hof’s method
- Being a skeptic while still being open-minded to different things, including superhuman feats
- Discerning conspiracy theories from reality and truth
- The real dangers of seeking superpowers and following charlatan gurus around the world
- Putting yourself through stresses and seeing how your body responds to these stresses
- Changing your body’s response and using it to your advantage
- Relaxing during chaotic, stressful times, often the exact opposite of your instinctive response
- How Scott came up with the concept of The Wedge in an ice bath with Wim Hof
- Driving a wedge between a stimulus and your response to the stimulus in your life
- The fact our body is constantly responding to the environment around it
- The time Scott became one with a mountain
- Understanding consciousness and life and our reality as we experience life
- Scott’s experience going into a virtual reality simulator at MIT and being surrounded by sharks in a virtual shark tank (exposure therapy)
- The fact that what when we experience something we connect it to something in the past (neural symbols)
- Getting into flow states by tossing around kettlebells with a massive gorilla-sized man
- Scott’s experience doing Ayahuasca in Peru with a shaman
- How his life changed after his psychedelic trip
- Going out and finding stresses to push you in your life and create a wedge
- The power of the Wim Hof breath and the wedge that exists in this exercise
- Cold showers and how to actually overcome the freezing cold feeling
* Follow Justin on Instagram now for daily content not found anywhere else!
*Check out Justin’s new book ELITE MIND at EliteMindBook.com.
* If you guys haven’t heard about Rhone, you’re really missing out. Rhone is a men’s performance lifestyle and premium active-wear brand that is engineered for unparalleled quality and comfort. They are an absolute necessity for guys on the go. It doesn’t matter if you’re training in the gym or jumping on international flights, they are your new go-to men’s clothing brand. My favorites are their element v-necks and crew-neck t-shirts. These are high-quality, they fit perfectly, and they look great. Just the way a t-shirt or v-neck should look on a man. In my opinion they are some of the nicest casual shirts I’ve ever worn. But Rhone doesn’t just have great t-shirts, they also have great long sleeve, tank tops, jackets, pullovers, pants, shorts, swimwear, underwear, shoes, socks, and all kinds of other stuff you will love! And now Rhone has just released their amazing new Commuter Collection. Perfect for looking great and staying comfortable at the office or on the go. Rhone’s Commuter Collection is the superhero version of your everyday workwear. Offering everything from pants, dress shirts, polos, and vests, Rhone is obsessive about clothing that is lightweight, comfortable, and wrinkle-free. The Commuter Collection is made to make Mondays feel like Fridays with its care-free maintenance, total comfort, and effortless style. I really LOVE the versatility that the Commuter Collection offers. Check it out! Go to Rhone.com/elite today and use promo code “elite” to get 20% off your first purchase. That’s R-H-O-N-E.com/elite, promo code “elite” for 20% off. Rhone.com/elite, promo code “elite”.